Each year, SETC provides over 250 innovative workshops that provide practical development for emerging and seasoned professionals alike. Above all, we strive to achieve diverse programming that represents our diverse membership. We invite you listen and learn from unique perspectives about the latest and greatest developments in theatre and the broader arts community.
Workshop proposals for the 2023 convention are now closed.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Access
SETC is resolutely committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in the life and culture of our organization. We are actively interrogating our policies and practices to deliberately take action and institutionalize anti-racist and anti-oppressive policies and practice. SETC will work to center marginalized voices, bodies, and stories. We will listen and learn about racism, discrimination, and adversity.
Each presenter is expected to be mindful of marginalized and vulnerable constituents and to incorporate/embrace inclusive and welcoming language/gesture to your program. A short, required webinar will be presented closer to the Convention to assist presenters in this endeavor.
If you are presenting on cultural diversity issues surrounding BIPOC, LGBTQ+, Disability, or other, please comment on whether you are a member of that community and/or your clear credential for teaching workshops on behalf of that community.
Each presenter is required to read and agree to the Language and Behavior/Expectations for Conference Presenters and Participating Theatres and Organizations: Presenter Expectations
At SETC, we make sure each workshop…
- Promotes Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
- Collaborates with other professionals in the field
- Provides professional development
- Contains leading-edge information / theory / innovative practices
- Emphasizes training, learning and performance
- Provides how-to training and/or focuses on skill-building
- Provides information not easily accessible to your target audience
- Offers strategies for growing educational, non-profit and/or for-profit organizations
- Offers strategies for teaching, business, and design technologies
What levels do our workshops serve?
- Beginner/Basic: Introduction and exploration of concepts
- Intermediate: Building on basic skills and developing competency
- Advanced: Fine-tuning for professional artists and practitioners experienced with the concept
Workshop Proposal Timeline:
- Proposal Submissions Open: July 18, 2022
- Proposal Submission Deadline: September 1, 2022
- Convention Registration Opens: October 13, 2022
- Accept/Decline Notification: November 1, 2022
- Presenter Deadline to Registration: December 15, 2022
- SETC Annual Convention: March 1-5, 2023, Lexington, KY
We have made the decision to move to a virtual workshop format for our 2021 Convention that will allow us to continue providing new and safe opportunities in theatre while protecting the health of SETC members.
Workshop slots will be offered on March 3rd – 6th at the following times:
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
11:30 AM – 12:30 AM
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
2:30 PM – 3:30 PM
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
Our new virtual workshop format will consist of 45-minute pre-recorded sessions that will conclude with a 15-minute live Q&A between presenters and attendees. If your workshop proposal is accepted, you will receive information about how to upload your pre-recorded workshop and the 15-minute Q&A session that will immediately follow your session.
The submission period for workshop proposals has now ended. If you are still interested in submitting a proposal, please email email@example.com.
Workshop Proposal Timeline
Proposal Submissions Open
Proposal Submission Deadline
Convention Registration Opens
Presenter Registration Deadline
Review and Notification Process
Upon submitting your proposal, you will receive a confirmation email. All communication will be transmitted through email, so please check your spam folder if you do not see it. If for some reason you do not receive the confirmation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may troubleshoot any issues for future email communication.
On November 1, 2022, you will be notified via email as to whether your proposal has been accepted or declined.
SETC does not provide honoraria for presenters at our convention. SETC is a membership organization and all accepted workshop presenters, co-presenters, and panelists are required to be members of the organization and must pre-register for the SETC Convention by December 15, 2022.
Guidelines for Applicants
- SETC will not select proposals that attempt to promote or sell a product, recruit/hire, or marketing an organization, company, or service. Our sponsorship, exhibition, advertising, and dedicated hiring services are better suited for those needs. For more info about those opportunities, please contact Shameca Freeman at email@example.com
- To provide new and relevant programming for our attendees, we kindly ask that you do not submit a workshop proposal that you have presented in the previous two years.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- All Presenters, Co-Presenters, and Panelists of an accepted workshop must register for convention by December 15, 2022.